[Rhythmbox-devel] rhythmbox

Hi,

A friend recently made me aware of rhythmbox and pointed me to your web
site.  I have had great frustration trying to install it.

 From the home page, I understood this:

It is free software, designed to work well under the GNOME Desktop, and
based on the powerful GStreamer media framework, or the Xine framework.

... to mean that rhythmbox works under GNOME and that it can use either
the GStreamer media framework -or- the Xine framework.  Looking at the
requirements, I decided to go with Xine.  So, I got the RedHat 9 xine
rpms and installed them thus:

[nak@dhcppc1 installers]$ apt-cache search xine
xine-lib - Core library for the xine video player.
xine - A free multimedia player.
xine-skins - A collection of skins for the Xine video player.

I got the 0.6.8 version using an rpm found on
http://yarrow.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=886

[nak@dhcppc1 installers]$ apt-cache search rhythmbox
rhythmbox - Music Management Application

I get the following error attempting to use rhythmbox:

[nak@dhcppc1 installers]$ INFO (13213: 0) Initializing GStreamer Core
Library version 0.6.3
INFO (13213: 0) CPU features: (00000000) MMX SSE
INFO (13213: 0) registry: loaded global_registry in 0.220444 seconds
           (/var/cache/gstreamer-0.6/registry.xml)
rhythmbox: relocation error: rhythmbox: undefined symbol:
ORBit_skel_class_register

[2]+  Exit 127                rhythmbox

I'm not sure what the ORBit_skel_class_register refers to.  I have
checked, and the following is installed:

[nak@dhcppc1 installers]$ apt-cache search ORBit
ORBit - A high-performance CORBA Object Request Broker.
ORBit-devel - Development libraries, header files and utilities for ORBit.
ORBit2 - A high-performance CORBA Object Request Broker.
ORBit2-devel - Development libraries, header files and utilities for ORBit.

I have also tryed compiling the latest version 0.7x. Which, to be
honest, is the one I want, as it is the first with iPod capability.
Unfortunately, there are a host of problems with that approach:

checking for                   gtk+-2.0 >= 2.2.2
        libgnomeui-2.0                                  libglade-2.0
                                 gnome-vfs-2.0
       gnome-vfs-module-2.0                            libbonobo-2.0
                    bonobo-activation-2.0... Package gtk+-2.0 was not
found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc'
No package 'gtk+-2.0' found

configure: error: Library requirements (                  gtk+-2.0 >=
2.2.2                               libgnomeui-2.0
          libglade-2.0                                    gnome-vfs-2.0
                                gnome-vfs-module-2.0
         libbonobo-2.0
bonobo-activation-2.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH
environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so
pkg-config can find them.

I attempted to find and install a version of gtk+-2x, and found only one
rpm for it.  An install attempt yielded three screens full of dependency
errors relating to installed components.

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards.

--

Guy Stalnaker