Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] RFC: removable media

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 05:24, Christophe Fergeau wrote:

> I haven't had time to look at your proposal in details, but I'm not sure
> this "physical location attribute" should be stored by rhythmbox in its
> database. Most of the code used by nautilus to deal with removable
> medias, mount points and stuff like that has moved to gnome-vfs 2.6, so
> it's available for use by any gnome app. This framework may provide
> enough functionalities to do what you want without needing to interface
> directly with hal. I'm mentioning that now in case you are about to
> start implementing this "physical location attribute" ;)

I had a quick glance at the GnomeVFS API for this, and I don't see a way
to retrieve a persistent identifier for a device. I don't think
gnome_vfs_drive_get_display_name is at all guaranteed to be unique.
This isn't surprising though - I can't see GnomeVFS having code to go
grubbing through USB device serial numbers or whatever.  That's HAL's
job.

This is a digitally signed message part