Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] RFC: removable media

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 02:45, John McCutchan wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 01:45, Ben Konrath wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 20:28, John McCutchan wrote:
>
> > When this came up last time, Colin Walters mentioned that it would be
> > nice to be able to add the removable media to the sources list. What do
> > you think of this idea? (see http://cfergeau.free.fr/rb-ipod.png for an
> > example)
> >
> > This would make it easy to remove a source that wasn't going to be
> > inserted again. I'm not sure if Colin meant that the library would still
> > contain everything and the removable media source just have what was on
> > the media, or the music on the removable media would be kept separately
> > from the main library. Perhaps we could get clarification from Colin.
> >

> A variation on this could be support by providing a source for each
> physical location in the database. So you don't have to specifically add
> a removable device, it is just aggregated from the database. This way
> all the music is still be in the library.
>
> The downside to this would be cluttered source list when you have many
> removable devices, but say, only one is present.
>
> Maybe a combined approach would better, for every physical location in
> the database that is currently present, we show a source for it. But
> group all of the physical locations that are not currently present under
> one source "Unavailable"?

Sorry for replying to myself, but I thought it would be worth adding
that how we present the idea of the physical location to the user can be
tinkered with later on.

What I think is most important is the integration of the physical
location attribute with the library database and making sure the
approach we take gives us the ability to develop logic that makes the
right decision about files on devices that could be removed.

If the right information is stored in the database, we should be able to
present the physical location to the user anyway we want.

John