Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Portable player support

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 11:01:34PM +0200, Bastiaan Van Eeckhoudt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got a new portable MP3 player this week, and since the app that
> comes with it only works in Windows, I wanted to add support for it to
> rhythmbox. I chose rhythmbox since I'm already using GNOME, I saw that
> there was some form of iPod support, and I couldn't find any other
> Linux music management apps with portable player support.

What mp3 player did you get?  I got an iriver 790T, which does have
a driver for it.  Unfortunately, it does not use the USB mass driver
and uses on some other protocol.  Luckily, it should be fairly easy
to write a gnome-vfs driver.

I had thought about integrating it directly with Rhythmbox but after
some discussion decided that it's probably easier to implement it
as a gnome-vfs thing instead.

I would like to be able to create a playlist and do a "Send
to.." type mechanism that will copy data to a generic device.
Generic device would be something that could be identified
as a portable mp3 instead of a usb mass device.

Just my personal opinion.

sri