Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: usage question

I'd love to see Rb going the plugins route. There's certainly a lot of demand
for it (lirc, album covers, visualizations, mass tagging, irc integration,
gDesklet integration, applets, musicbrainz, ...) that shouldn't be required in
the core. In fact Rb should support 2 types of plugins: Scripts that interact
with the running application via a powerful IPC mechanism (not that joke that
exists right now, I can't even write autorating scripts) and plugins that are
loaded on demand for UI stuff (album art) or stuff integrating with the audio
(equalizer, visualization).

However - and this comes from a GStreamer developer that maintains a heavily
plugin based system - a system with a plugin mechanism requires a lot of
effort. I'd expect it to require twice the effort to maintaining just a player
with the most popular "plugins" included as options somewhere. The reason for
this is simple: You need a well thought out interface and you need to keep
API/ABI stability or the plugins will break randomly. Ensuring this is a bitch.
So don't hold your breath unless some magic people show up that are willing to
do a lot of work. :/

Benjamin