Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox Applet 0.1.0 Released

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 04:22:48PM -0400, Peter Colijn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:10:49 -0500, Paul Kuliniewicz
> <kuliniew purdue edu> wrote:
> >
> > [how about cron?]
>
> Right, well the thing I don't like about using cron is there's no good
> UI (or maybe there is a cron UI I don't know about, but still not very
> specific to the task). I think the xmms-alarm UI, with a default alarm
> time and then exceptions on certain days, is pretty good, for example.
> You can do that with cron, more or less, but it's not very friendly.

True.

> Yeah, that's the other thing; I was thinking of having a window pop up
> when the alarm goes off that takes focus, and have spacebar act as a
> snooze button. When you hit spacebar, the window goes away. Could also
> be set up to work with a remote control of some kind, I suppose.

That could work.

> > But even if you make an alarm via the Bonobo interface (whether through
> > this applet or something else), there's the problem of not being able to
> > specify which song to play or which playlist to choose it from.  Well,
> > you can specify the filename to play through Bonobo, but you're left
> > with the question of how to let the user select one, since there's no
> > way to look at the music library through Bonobo.  The only thing I can
> > think of would be to drag-and-drop a song from Rhythmbox into the alarm,
> > if that would even work.
>
> That would be cool. I don't know if the Bonobo interface supports it,
> but another idea would be to use a playlist. So from the applet you
> choose the playlist you want to use to wake up. Like I say, I don't
> know if the Bonobo interface supports playlists...

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do with the library through the
Bonobo interface.  It looks like you can open and play a playlist file
(using the handleFile function), and you can choose a song to play if
you know its filename already, but that's about it.  I don't see a good
way to work with things already in the library.

> Heh, yeah, the other thing about using xmms-alarm like I currently do
> is that I also use xmms-imms. So now it's a really long time before a
> song gets played that I hate. You'd think that'd be a good thing, but
> when you're trying to wake up, hearing a song you *despise* can be
> good motivation to get out of bed :)

For an alarm, it'd be nice to tell it to either play a particular song
or to play something from a particular playlist.  The former *might* be
possible if drag-and-drop can get you the filename, and the latter
doesn't look possible at all.  Unfortunately it doesn't look like the
Bonobo interface was designed with anything much more complex than my
current applet in mind.

> > In my code, rb-proxy.c implements a wrapper around the Bonobo interface
> > that makes it a lot easier for the GUI to use.  It could certainly come
> > in handy for writing a separate alarm program or applet, which might be
> > the right way to go.  I think I'd like the idea of building the current
> > applet and an alarm as two separate applets better than trying to put it
> > all into one.
>
> Hmm, I guess.. but this now means that I'm going to have *three*
> rhythmbox-related things in my panel; the notification icon, your
> applet, and my alarm applet. Seems like a lot of stuff just for a
> music player :)

Yeah, now I'm leaning towards thinking adding an alarm to the applet
would be fine.  I'm a bit wary of turning the applet into a grab bag of
"cool stuff you can do with Rhythmbox," but it's probably too early to
be worrying about that.  Besides, if it does become a problem, things
can always be split out later.

So, in other words, if you want to write a patch to add an alarm, have
at it. <g>