[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: Syncing the RhythmDB on every update

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 11:24:23AM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 12:43, Andreas Bombe wrote:
>
> > gdbm, sqlite, same difference.  SQLite seems quite nifty.  I'd start to
> > write a backend using SQLite if nobody else really wants to.
>
> Ok, that'd be cool.  We're talking about major work here though,
> definitely more something for 1.0.

I don't know, it doesn't seem _that_ complicated. (Famous Last Words(tm))

> > Granted, this is probably overengineering.  IMHO we should still keep
> > the XML backend around to export/import the rhythmdb.  Instead of
> > dumping on every shutdown, I guess it would be enough to provide a
> > command line option for exporting the db.
>
> That's fine, sure.  If we have SQLite though, I don't know why you would
> want to switch to anything else.

I feel we shouldn't lock up the (ratings etc.) data in Rhythmbox.  Maybe
someone comes up with a central database for different music players or
they want to export data to a portable hardware player.

Technically they could dump it using the sqlite command line client.
Since we already have an XML parser/generator, I don't think there is
much gained by throwing it away.  But I agree it isn't that important.

--
Andreas Bombe <bombe@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>    GPG key 0x04880A44