[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: Seamless playing

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 02:03:56PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 12:12, Andreas Bombe wrote:
>
> > I want to avoid destroying and recreating the output part.  Even if it
> > wouldn't cause gaps, it seems like an unaesthetic kludge.
>
> You will have to at the moment, unfortunately.  One problem is that
> spider replaces itself with the decoding elements, so if you try to
> reuse an MP3 pipeline with "mad" in it for Ogg Vorbis, it's not going to
> work.

Which wouldn't be that bad.  If they are supposed to be continuous (like
successive tracks of a CD rip) they usually are the same format.  If
they are different, restarting the pipeline might be necessary in any
case (e.g. different sample rates require reopening the audio device, I
expect) so no seamless playing could be expected anyway.

My goal is to keep it running and provide seamless playback as long as
trivially possible.  No arcane magic, if the user put files from
different locations in a playlist or skips to a random track, there'll
be the infamous short gap to be expected.  In this situation it doesn't
actually hurt.

--
Andreas Bombe <bombe@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>    DSA key 0x04880A44