Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Ratings feedback

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 17:10, Derrick Ashby wrote:
> In rhythmbox 0.7.0. there's a new feature called "Adaptive ratings". I'm
> finding it really annoying.  Problem no 1 is that newly added tracks seem to
> get a default rating of three, and that's too high.

You would prefer 2 instead?  In theory it should be 2.5 of course, but
partial stars seem to be a bit much.  I think a default of 3 makes more
sense in general on the theory that if you're loading a song into your
library, you will often like it than not.

>  Problem no 2 is that I
> can't work out under what circumstances the program increases the rating on a
> track that's played - it seems inconsistent.  Problem no 3 is that if I rate
> a track I don't want the program to come along and change the rating.

That makes sense, we should definitely fix that.  Michael, what do you
think?  We could just add a new rhythmdb property that gets set to true
whenever the user manually rates a song, and then just don't change it
from there.

> The whole business of ratings is to allow the user to select tracks based on
> the rating, and for that you need to provide a rating selection criteria in
> the automatic playlist generator.

Yeah, that'll happen hopefully soon.  Some of the internals make it a
bit tricky, is the thing.

This is a digitally signed message part