[Rhythmbox-devel] Live Radio Browser

Hi,

I've been toying with the idea of integrating a "live" radio (shoutcast)
browser into Rhythmbox.  So far I'm basing this effort on the
streamtuner project by Jean-Yves Lefort
(http://www.nongnu.org/streamtuner/).  This program has plugins for
various directories (Shoutcast, Live365, Xiph/Icecast).

Right now I'm working on just dumping the list of live streams into
RhythmDB and erasing the database on each refresh.  This doesn't seem
like it's the best means to accomplish this (a lot of overhead), since a
new list is pulled for each genre or search.  Does anyone have other
suggestions?  It would be helpful to support multiple sources for each
IRadio station, but I assume that is forthcoming since I remember it
used to be in net-rhythmbox.

I also wanted to ask what people thought about the interface.  It
wouldn't have to change much from the current IRadio interface, but how
to integrate the two is a question.  Also the possibility of sub-genres
which I mention below.  There are some extra columns which could be
added (now playing, bitrate, current/max listeners), as well as a
refresh and "go to URL" button.

Colin mentioned the idea of sub-sources, where each of the directories
(shoutcast, live365, etc.) would be a sub-source of the IRadio source,
which would just store favorite/non-published stations.  This seems like
a good approach, but much more technically complicated.  I know nothing
about it, but apparently could also be used for the "play queue" as a
sub-source of the library.

On a side note, Streamtuner also supports "sub-genres" (e.g. the
"Classical" genre has Contemporary, Opera, and Symphonic sub-genres).
This seems like a good idea, and might be worth considering
implementing, though I don't know how it would work for local
files...just a thought.

Please let me know what you think!  I'll hopefully have an arch archive
up soon, but I'm exceedingly new at most of this and trying to learn
quickly. :)

Thanks,
Ryan