Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Feature Request + A gapless Question

Hi.

I have this problem too.  I think, though, that I'm going to need to
adjust my behaviour with regard to it.  All rhythmbox really can do is
to compare the two text strings and see if they are equal to decide if
it's the same album or not.  If you tried to make it smart enough, there
are always cases where it would get it wrong.

For example:
mellon collie and the infinite sadness (dawn to dusk)
mellon collie and the infinite sadness (twilight to starlight)

is less likely to be thought of as one album than:
use your illusion i
use your illusion ii

In these two cases, the first two are one album and the second two are
two separate albums.  You might argue, then, that the contents of
brackets should just be ignored, but then:

(what's the story) morning glory?

Then you could say, well... let's just do it to albums that end with
brackets.  This starts to get really hackish, though, and there will
always be an example that breaks it.

I've had this debate with myself many times, and it seems to me that the
real solution would be to change the tag format of vorbis (I only use
vorbis, ymmv) to have 2 album tags something like:
album=the wall
subalbum=disc 1

That being said, I'm not sure how likely this is to happen.

Just my 2ยข.  Probably not very useful.