Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Some suggestions

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 18:28, Gisli Ottarsson wrote:
> I am watching the rewrite of the database back-end (from a safe
> distance) with much anticipation.  I've fallen hard for Rhythmbox
> and have ripped a lot of my CDs into .ogg format.  Soon after
> exceeding 2000 songs responsiveness started suffering and at 3500
> songs life has become quite painful (Pentium III 750MHz laptop,
> accessing songs via IEEE 802.11).  I'll beat on the new database
> code as soon as it hits CVS (or arch, if I can figure that out).
>
> As I've played with Rhythmbox, a small wish-list has been forming.
>
>  1) It would be nice to be able to queue up songs without
>     having to build a play-list.  Drag songs into the queue
>     where they wait their turn.  Once played they simply fall
>     off the queue.  Great for parties where everyone is a DJ.
>     Perhaps the vertical "Source" area could be tabbed with
>     "Queue" area in another tab.

I think this could be done as an optional source and would be nice for
many people.  we've had a lot of request for this functionality and this
seems like a simple way to fufill those.  that being said, its not
something i would personally use, but it is a good idea.

>  2) Occasionally, when playing in Random mode, a song will
>     pop up and I would like to switch to listening to that
>     artist only or that album.  It would be nice to be able
>     to right-mouse on the Artist or Album and "Narrow to
>     Artist" or "Narrow to Album".  Now I have to hunt for
>     Album/Artist in the browser views to get the effect.

Definately needs to be done... this should be a trivial callback and
menu entry i think as all the info is given by the node and can be set
by the library source.  Great idea... I knew there was something missing
when I was searching the browser after hearing one song of a group.

something like All Songs by <artist> and All Songs on <album> in the
context menu would be welcome from my perspective.

>  3) The incremental search feature, although nice and natural
>     for an Emacs user, can be a pain when the library has
>     reached a certain size.  The erasing of a typo in the
>     search field can send Rhythmbox into a thrashing mode.
>     Perhaps incremental search mode could be supplemented
>     with an optional "type text and hit return" mode.

As Colin has said, this will be fixed by the asyncronous nature of the
new db.  Also, it seems that what you asking for is a bit different.
what rb does is "filter" results with the text, what you get with emacs
is more of a "jump" to the results feature.  such a jump feature could
also be interesting.

> Thanks
>
>   Gisli

Thanks for some great ideas.