Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Tagging Issues

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 17:18, John Ottander wrote:
> I am not sure if this is a known issue with RB or gstreamer but
> sometimes the way RB reads mp3 and ogg tags is really messed up.
>
> Since RB can't edit tags of music files I use either xmms or easytag to
>  tag/retag my files. Most of the time the tags show fine in RB. But
>
> 1. Sometimes RB can't even read the tag of a file and thus does not even
>  list the file, even when xmms and easytag can read it.

Hm.  If the file doesn't appear at all, that probably means that rb
couldn't determine the type of the file: it had an unknown extension, it
was an MP3-inside-WAV, etc.

> 2. And other times it can read a tag of a file, but its not the tag
> that xmms or easytag reads.

This is probably the difference between ID3v1 and ID3v2.  I'd just
delete all your ID3v1 tags if you can.

> Are these known issues, and what could i do to work around them?

All my mp3s work, personally.  But if you could put a sample up
somewhere for us to test, that would help a lot.  File a bugzilla bug
and link to the MP3 from there.

> Is
>  there anyway to remake the tag in a RB friendly format? Also, what
> tools do people sugest for taggin/auto-taggin music files?

No idea; personally I've had a bad experience with easytag.

> -Also, I wished RB would look for new songs in imported folders.

It'll happen; it's just a little tricky.

> Right now the only way to refresh the songs list, is to
> manually import the directory again.

Yeah.

> rhythmbox--mainline--0.6--patch-147

Note you're about 20 patches behind now :)  (although I don't think any
of them will address the issues you're having).

This is a digitally signed message part