Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox roadmap - smart playlists

On mar, 2003-10-14 at 11:04 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

> > ANd if someone can tell me about smart-playlist planned features I can
> > try to make some glade mockup
>
> I've included a glade file that someone posted (sorry forgot who) some time
> back in February or so.  I think a lot of people thought it was a good
> mockup.
Mmhhh sorry, but it's not so good :-(

Yeah, it's really simple but

     1. it's not "scalable".  Follow me: open it in glade and minimize
        all other glade windows. Now switch to 1024x768 (a common
        resolution, especially on laptops), use Sans 8px as default
        font. Using only 3 criteria, this window take 1/3 of the
        screen's height.
     2. it's sexy, but don't fit HIG. Only button widgets fit HIG: every
        option menu need a label with an accelerator key.
     3. BTW what about i18n/l10n? In English (and Italian and probably a
        lot of other languages) noun -> verb -> expansion is the common
        mode to build up a [non interrogative] phrase, but in... mmhh...
        Japanese?
     4. IMHO to use And/Or for every criterium is a pain and a mess. Is
        (A AND B OR C AND D) different from (A AND B AND D OR C) or not?
        Do the average rb user know it? Better a simple "Match all
        criteria" option.

PS I've in mind to use a GtkList to list all criteria + Add/Edit/Remove
buttons to manage them. HIG say to use a list when you don't know how
many items you've to manage.

> So maybe you can start with that?

I found an iTunes' shot for this feature. And probably Jamboree use the
same interface. Now I've to understand how additional options work.