Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] play in random order

Does anyone here watch basketball?  Stick with me, this is relevant. The
way they do the draft is that the worst teams get weighted more heavily
when it comes to see who gets the first round pick.  This way, worse
teams have a better chance to get the first pick, but not guaranteed.

Songs could get weighted more heavily the longer they are not played.
e.g. each song has a weight of 1 to start (zero doesn't make sense in
probability terms I guess).  When a song is played, all other songs get
a weight of weight + 1, and the song that was just played goes back to
1.  That way, the songs that haven't been played in a long time have a
much higher chance of being played as time goes on, although its not
guaranteed.

This, of course, requires a randomization algorithm that can deal with
weighted probability events.

John