Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] xosd plugin?

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 13:54, Chris Petersen wrote:

> Anyway, just curious if anyone has considered adding xosd support to
> rhythmbox - it's pretty simple to do (unfortunately, I'm not a C coder,
> or I'd probably have poked at it already), and makes it really nice for
> those of us who keep our music players out of view while we're working.

I implemented this for net-rhythmbox a long time ago, but it was removed
in the merge with Rhythmbox.  The plan is to use the notification area
for this kind of thing.

Also, with the latest Rhythmbox, you could use the Bonobo API to
implement this entirely outside the Rhythmbox process.  the
getPlayerProperties method returns a property bag that can notify you
when the song changes, and will give you the title, etc.

walters@metropolis> python
Python 2.2.3 (#1, Oct 15 2003, 23:33:35)
[GCC 3.3.1 20030930 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.1-6)] on linux2
>>> import bonobo
>>> bonobo.activate()
1
>>> rb = bonobo.get_object ('OAFIID:GNOME_Rhythmbox', 'GNOME/Rhythmbox')
>>> props = rb.getPlayerProperties()
>>> v = props.getValue('song')
>>> songinfo = v.value()
>>> songinfo
<GNOME.SongInfo object at 0x86453e4>
>>> songinfo.title
'Summer: Tense'

So I thought there was a way to get notification from a property bag,
but I don't see it offhand in the bonobo docs...

This is a digitally signed message part