Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] moving closer to 0.6.0

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 10:50, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> Le mer 05/11/2003 à 11:47, Michael Gratton a écrit :
> >   - Artist names starting with "the" should be sorted as if the "the"
> > wasn't there. E.g. /The Hurts/ should appear with other artists starting
> > with 'h'.
>
> Has rb ever done that? I'm not a big fan of it, since I'd also want
> Le/La/Les/L' to be dealt with the same way (french translations for
> the), spanish people would probably want El/... as well, ... and in the
> end you'd get many false positive (though the list to match could be
> translatable). Maybe that's not really an issue, but...

Note that the MusicBrainz.org metadata stores a "sortname" for each
artist (e.g. Los Lobos -> Lobos, Los / The Beatles -> Beatles, The / Bob
Marley -> Marley, Bob) and that there is a Performer Sort Order field
(TSOP) designated in the ID3v2 spec for this very purpose.

I would suggest that this is the way to go once you move beyond simply
ignoring "The " at the start of artist names.

cheers,

dave