Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] yet another new mockup (meta)

tis 2003-05-13 klockan 21.25 skrev James Kahn:
> I'm making a habit of this...
>
> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 22:46, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> > tis 2003-05-13 klockan 02.03 skrev James Kahn:
> > > I think it should be present in the playlist UI, but am not so sure about the
> > > main library view.  The meta-button is a brilliant idea and should be used
> > > (I've never seen iTunes, was it taken from there?).
> >
> > But why should it be present? I mean, the whole point of toolbar etc is
> > to include commonly used actions..
> >
> > just for the kick of having something spiffy like a 'meta button' is not
> > a reason imho. Yes, it was taken from iTunes - and that might lead to
> > problems as well, since it's what they market and xtunes got a cease and
> > desist letter because their app was too similar.
>
> It's not just for kicks - it's to avoid altering the UI each time you
> change views.  Present a consistent front for the users.  Instead of
> having different buttons appear and disappear in different places, have
> the differing functionality all contained in one button.

Which is like I said in my last mail, probably a bad also.. especially
for someone who's been using the library for say months, then discoers
playlists, clicks his favourite buttn and ends up burning a cd. Not
right, I think. (I could be wrong but I thinkI remember the HIG advising
against this kind of stuff too)

> > > Hmm.  I view rb as what you could think of as a music environment - playing
> > > music from various sources, rip it from CDs, put it on to CDs, and potentially
> > > putting it on and pulling it off portable devices (eg iPod).  netRhythmbox does
> > > a fine job of playing music now - rb should become so much more.
> >
> > Sure, I agree. But it's primary focus should be playing music imho, the
> > rest are maintainance tasks - not everyday music playback things, and
> > thus should not be in the main player ui imho.
>
> Not every day - hmm, I tend to rip a couple of CDs a week, and would
> burn one every few days if I had the functionality.  I used to burn them
> quite often in Windows when I dual-booted, but at the moment there is no
> decent interface for doing it in ((GNU/)?Linux|GNOME).

Couple of CDs a week, right, a menu would work perfectly for that I'd
think. Toolbar buttons are for things you do 10 times a day.