Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] new mockup

Note: Emerging from lurk mode for a moment.

This is the only UI I can really claim to really like at the moment.  It
has all the features I think are necessary, but lacks the fluff, etc.
The bevel looked odd and seemed uncomfortable to me (sorry about the
unclear adjectives, I'm not a UI expert, just a user).  This seems to be
the most clear and "to the point" UI I've seen.  I like the checkboxes
at the bottom left.  I know you could use buttons, but I think that
approach would be much leass clear, especially to a new user and these
take up less vertical space.  This seems balanced w/ the play control
buttons and the search bar on the top, and the repeat/shuffle checks and
the info on the bottom.  Maybe my love for architecture is coming out
(talking about buildings, this time, not software), but I would love to
use a media player designed like this.

Also, to note, I hate the idea of skinned media players and just want
something that works, is "usable" with a decent sized media collection,
and fits in with the rest of my environment (Gnome) so I don't have to
learn yet another application.  I don't want to have to flip through all
the menus and prefs to get it to work "right" with the rest of what I
have to use.  I want to build a playlist, tell it to play, and then
start working, which means hacking Python or writing papers in my case,
but I'm a student.

Can't say I've tested it, but I gave up on geeky chock-full-o-prefs UIs
a while back and have better things to do than tweak this and that left
and right.  I just want my stuff to work in a sensible and consistent
manner.  I'd be happy to play with it and report back if someone
actually built it and I think , from looking at it, that I would enjoy
it as my primary music player.

--Mike Messmore