Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] ID3v2-tags

Zitat von Niklas <niklas@bumby.net>:

> On 2003.07.22 1957 +0000, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> > Le mar 22/07/2003 à 18:45, Niklas a écrit :
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > I was just wondering if it's normal for rhythmbox to fail to play
> > > MP3-files with a ID3v2-tag.
> >
> > This should work, are they working with gstreamer ? (try gst-launch-ext)
> > Christophe
> >

> gst-launch-ext works perfectly but rhytmbox gives me the "Could not find
> media type"-message-box on the same file.

gst-launch-ext will work, because gst-launch-ext does not use GStreamer's
typefinding - which is the part to blame here. This bug happens if you have too
much non-mp3 data at the beginning of your mp3 (more than 3 or 4kB). This
happens if you either have a very big ID3v2 tag or a lot of junk data at the
beginning of your file (which a lot of Kazaa files have).
It's the most annoying bug right now for a lot of RB users (including me) and
is well known (at least to the maintainer, which would be me).
I intend to fix it, but I intend to fix it right, so you shouldn't hope for a
fix being just around the corner.
In the meantime I suggest getting rid of the data crap in your mp3s ;)

Benjamin