Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox tray icon - again

Colin Walters wrote:
> 1) Is this feature total crack or not?  One concern - could it
> potentially be confusing to newbies who have accidentally hidden then

When I first read about the change on the list I didn't think it would
be a big deal. Now that I've been using it for a while I have found that
it is kind of annoying, especially those of use that us that have been
using rb for a while. From what I've been reading about the HIG and
such, it seems that the general consensus is that the the notification
area shall not turn into the "system tray" garbage pile.

A while back someone mentioned (I think it was you Colin) that an applet
would be a good idea. I was thinking something like back,
pause/play/forward ( < |> >). Maybe the right solution is to avoid the
entire notification area and shoot for an applet? Or maybe a combination
of the two, an applet to control behavior, and the notification "note"
to open and close the browser window.

It also should be mentioned that while it is not a gnome application,
gaim has its own behavior too, and out of sheer habit, I come to expect
the rb note icon to behave like the gaim icon sitting next to it. With
the recent changes this has become annoying, since one would expect
icons in the same "tray" to behave the same. Either way I don't care, as
long as they all do it the same way eventually.

I don't know what the right solution is, I'm just a user who listens to
music ... but if it was up to me, I think that an applet with a back,
play/pause, forward, then an "note" icon that opened the browser would
be great, skip the whole notification area:

< |> >  [note]

-jorge, loving rb either way ...