Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] User feedback

On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 21:56, Gisli Ottarsson wrote:
> Here are a couple of gripes from an otherwise satisfied customer.
>
> 1) Genre handling ought to be case-insensitive.  I now have
>    both 'Rock' and 'rock' occupying my genre list.

Yeah.  I'll probably do this with the library rewrite.

> 2) I have a single directory to which I add all my .ogg files.
>    A recent rhythmbox version, version 0.5.1, sported a wizard
>    which asked me the name of such a directory, which is great.
>    However, I could find no way to change my mind or add another
>    directory.

You can just use "Add to Library" again.  This could probably be
documented better.

> Perhaps it would be a good idea to allow adding
>    paths to such directory roots in a Preferences panel.  If I
>    use "Add to Library" does rhythmbox remember this directory?
>    Does it forget the one I mentioned in the wizard?

It's true it isn't very clear what goes on with the directories.  I
think ideally we should keep track of all directories added by the user
and watch them for changes.  That along with better documentation should
suffice I think.

> 3) As I add files to my directory of .ogg files, it is never
>    quite clear to me how to alert rhythmbox of their existence.

This issue is the same as #2.

>    Re-pointing "Add to Library" to this directory seems to have
>    the desired effect, but when there are a lot of files this
>    action can take a while, without any activity indication.

This is fixed in CVS.

> 4) Finally one newbie note.  When I first started using rhythmbox
>    the most puzzling thing was to figure out how to add songs.

Right, same as #2.