Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] [patch] Show window when not visible

Right now I would suggest that rb use the notification area in the way
that is most directly useful rather than worrying what the guidelines
will or won't be.

The notification area was indeed conceived of primarily for notification
but it could be used to solve the problem of providing desktop "always
available" access to simple control tools that we don't want always
available in every gnome config (wireless stuff, afs ticket manager,
volume control, nuclear launch button).

I think people's fear (certainely  mine) is that this will turn into the
dumping ground that is the windows notification area. This  would be a
danger of opening the area up to more than notification. But.... I would
rather try to control this through social pressure to avoid unecessary
items and guidelines. We *do* want tight integration between apps and
desktop, esp. for apps like rb that will be running most of the time.

Now, that said, having an icon that hides and shows the rb window is not
an appropriate use of the notification area whether it gets dedicated to
notification or opened up to simple controls. This is a job for the
window list or something like that and the hiding of windows in this
style is odd and potentially very confusing. Additionally I don't even
think its the best use of the area.

I would suggest having left clicking on the rb notification icon pop up
a small 'menu' that includes the current song title, pause/play, next,
previous, and something to show the main rb interface (but don't ever
hide it in all workspaces... So no "hide" button, just switch to rb's
workspace and bring it to top). I'll save justifications for later since
my cell phone's moving out of range ;-)

-seth