Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] features

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 20:15, Mason Kidd wrote:
> > > Reasoning:  Although the search box is usefull for general searching it
> > > can be too broad.  For example if I wanted to search for an album with
> > > the word 'work' in it I would currently use the search box and I would
> > > have displayed all songs with the work 'work' in them even though I was
> > > just interested in the album with that word.
> >
> > This functionality would be nice.
> >
> > > Suggestion:  Double clicking on on the Genre, Album, Artist list
> > > headings would bring up a search box that searches only on that type, ie
> > > Genre, Album or Artist.
> > >
> > > Drawback:  Discoverability, how will users know that these headings are
> > > double-clickable or indeed searchable.  Perhaps we should split the list
> > > header into two parts with the right being a search button that only
> > > requires one click for search on?
> >
> > To put it another way, 'why do it in some way different from every other
> > table widget I've ever seen, and which conflicts with sorting by column
> > values?'
> >
> > I'd suggest providing this functionality the way evolution does ['type'
> > dropdown next to the search field], which is a familiar usage idiom for
> > most GNOME users, and which I believe nautilus is considering adopting
> > if/when the medusa branch is merged in.
> >
> > Luis
> >
> I agree with Luis.  This is very intuitive.  I think that putting a
> dropdown just to the right of the current search box would work well.
> Although Evolution has it to the right, so that might be the way to go
> to be consistent.  Maybe:
> Search in:<dropdown> for <textbox>
> and the drop down would have Artist, ALbum, Genre, Title, and All.
after seeing the code for the search filtering stuff, this would be
incredibly easy to add for the library view, but currently would be very
difficult for the playlist view as it has no way of querying artist
album or genre.  I'm not sure about IRadio, but it might not fit well
with it as you only have genre and title and it currently only queries
title.

on another note.. i think something better should be done with the
browser for iradio... perhaps an itunes like interface would be better,
i don't like the 3 layers from the left i get when i have it and the
sidebar opened... just doesn't look very good.
--
Douglas McMorris <virage83@mail.utexas.edu>