Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox / Sound Juicer Integration

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 14:02, Sean Harshbarger wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 17:15, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> > V P? 01. 08. 2003 v 00:04, Bob Smith píše:
> >
> > > There's on going debate as to what to call it. Rip is a fairly geeky
> > > term which non geeks might have a problem understanding. Import is
> >
> > Apple's consumers aren't very geeky overall and Rip, Mix & Burn are
> > terms everyone is pretty familiar with. But I'm fine with extract after
> > all. It's just that it feels more foreign than rip actually ;) (I'm bet
> > even for non-geeks)
> >
> Ah this is true. You always have to realize that someone will not know
> the terms used in a field like ours.
>
> My take is call it extract. It sounds better then Rip.
>
> As to using SJ for this, I can concur with that. Another thought also
> comes to mind, and that is writing a burning/ripping library for RB to

Sound Juicer provides a gobject usefull for ripping stuff. It wouldnt
take much effort to get it into Rhythmbox, but then you'd have to
basically rewrite all of Sound Juicer as most of it is GUI code.

> use. Maybe an option can be added to SJ that will tell RB (by gconf
> key)? to regenerate the library with the new songs.

My patch does just that. But via Rhythmbox's Bonobo interface.

> I think we need to focus on our feature freeze bugs before we get too
> into adding more. I think the Extract and Burn options should come at
> the same time. I would say, after this feature freeze, but also after
> say album cover display and id3 tags editing (If these are indeed
> planned features).

I have very little free time, so I added the feature. It wasnt a very
difficult task. Doing other things to Rhythmbox would have required me
to learn alot more about the internals of it first.

Bob