Re: Defining GNOME software (finally)

Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
We've considered this question a bit more on the board side, and think
we can adjust the policy enough to allow some flexibility around the
GNOME Gitlab group. I think we would like to see some alignment
between the modulesets and the group, but it doesn't have to be
absolute and we could have a lazy retirement policy - so a modules
that are removed from the modulesets can stick around in the Gitlab
group for a good period of time. Does that sound like it could work?

I'm not sure. We have ~400 repositories under GNOME/ but only ~50
elements under core. So over 85% of our modules in GNOME/ are not in
core. We could reduce that percentage by including elements from
core-deps and sdk that are hosted under GNOME/, but there's still going
to be very wide divergence. For there to be any sort of alignment, we'd
need to remove the vast majority of software currently under GNOME/.

Yes, that's been taken into account. We're planning to set up a new
group where a lot of those modules will be able to live.

At this point it's probably best for us to share the plan in more
detail and get more feedback...

The advantages of doing this would be unclear.

The "advantage" is following the legal recommendation we've had,
regarding how we define our software.

Thanks again!

Allan