Re: Unauthorized translation changes in dconf-editor

Hello Arnaud,

Arnaud Bonatti via gnome-i18n <gnome-i18n gnome org> schrieb am Di., 19. März 2019, 16:43:
Hi Alexandre,

> Sadly whether we translate it or not, it will still be seen as “GNOME
> software” (it lives in GNOME/ on gitlab) and his behaviour will hurt
> the good reputation of our translation work. If he’s not up to the
> task of maintaining that piece of software correctly then he should be
> handled in an appropriate way.

Honestly, I though at the opposite that this way to do things would
please both translators and users.

Users, because it brings to them fixes to translations in a fast way
(with some errors –I’m human, and do not write all languages on Earth–
but mostly with improvements), and with less regressions also, as my
patches are “saving” some old strings from not being applied.

Translators, because I was giving back to them my suggestions, so that
they could apply it or dismiss it in the main po/ files, a good way to
improve their translations faster than before, and a real quality
assurance, as I’m reading translations with a completely different
vision of the application and with a complete knowledge on what each
string does and where it goes (in the same logic, I also tried by the
way to help translators here by adding comments in the code).

> We’re now beyond the honest mistake
> that a beginner would make and this qualifies as hostile since he was
> already warned and he created that branch to work around us. Can the
> release team give him back his training wheels, please?

In last year debate, what I understood was that editing po/ files in
the main branches (“master” and “gnome-3-xx”) was causing problems, as
translators would not always be made aware of the change; here, what
I’ve done is with a completely different logic, as translators have
the final decision in the end, with every change.

Last year we haven't discussed about changes in other than the main branches, because it was not imagineable that you would open a backdoor some time later, using such a maintainer-only branch. Regarding the mentioned "different logic", it is your logic, and it is hard to understand. You've broken the simple rule "don't touch po files, and in return translators don't touch your source files" again. And by the way, the "final decision" is still yours, because you made the tarball release from your maintainer-only branch (as Jeremy Bicha already stated).

But besides your logic, most of your "fixes" and "improvements" were senseless and absolutely uncritical for the release, and some of them have changed correct translations to incorrect ones. Is this your understanding of making things better, even better than the translation teams can do?

Honestly, I didn’t imagined that translators would see something wrong
with me using this new workflow,

This new workflow is no more than a cheap copy of the old one. I'm afraid you still haven't understand the problem...

and I never thought of it as being
“hostile” or “to work around [translators]”. Of course, I will stop
pushing changed translations to users starting for now (and I hope I
understood correctly the problem this time; are we at least ok on the
words used?).

Regards,
Arnaud

I hope you respect the rules now. But you have abused the trust of the Gnome TP members, you should be aware of that. Would be a good idea to keep an eye on your future activities.

Best Regards,
Mario

--
Arnaud Bonatti