Re: Unauthorized translation changes in dconf-editor

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 10:41 PM Mart Raudsepp via gnome-i18n
<gnome-i18n gnome org> wrote:
And of course changes all over the place that copy phrases and strings
over from somewhere else, presumably without knowing the language or
grammar and other subtleties.

Even for a language he knows (French, his mother tongue) he makes
changes that are inacceptable. In
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/dconf-editor/commit/f2ef1624d3878b624456365beb2c69632eba11fe
he changed a correct translation to an incorrect one.

In general there are real fixes and probable improvements in there, but
I don't see why the language teams just get trampled over here.

Thanks, that is indeed an appropriate term for the situation.

It is
maybe theoretically beneficial to languages that can't keep up at all,
and it's just a way to keep it (a bit more) up to date; but for active
languages, it's actively stepping over the language teams and defeating
the process. As far as I'm concerned, if it's a GNOME project, you
don't touch the translations yourself.

Even for inactive languages, that was not the place to do such
changes. It should have gone through i18n review.

Lets just say that dconf-editor at this point is not something I feel
like I shall be translating anytime soon, as it'll not be what gets
shipped anyways. If you want to be the translator for all languages,
you also get to translate it all, not only improve and "improve" stuff.
This is a two-way street.

Sadly whether we translate it or not, it will still be seen as “GNOME
software” (it lives in GNOME/ on gitlab) and his behaviour will hurt
the good reputation of our translation work. If he’s not up to the
task of maintaining that piece of software correctly then he should be
handled in an appropriate way. We’re now beyond the honest mistake
that a beginner would make and this qualifies as hostile since he was
already warned and he created that branch to work around us. Can the
release team give him back his training wheels, please?

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker