Re: Unauthorized translation changes in dconf-editor

Hello,
I do appreciate this debate, it is very important ... I need to chip in my 2 cents.
I was not aware Arnaud was committing changes to different projects, but:
- he did send me a note, pointing me to 2 translations that broke UI (which still bedazzle me, how that happened),
- he asked about couple of other strings
- I asked him to update the Slovenian translation since the time span before release was short but
- then I found some extra time and checked and updated the dconf-editor anyway, committing additional changes.

I did not feel any problems about our communication ... even more, if he hadn't notified me, I would not till now be aware of the errors!, and even worse, I would commit later updates with the same breaking string.

The problem I see in cases like Slovenian example about Translators is lack of "Comments" from developers, similarly comments would be useful also when the strings are spited, unusual, long ... searching where strings pops up is a drag. Comments should describe where and what a specific string is.

Best,

Matej

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 10:41 PM Mart Raudsepp via gnome-i18n <gnome-i18n gnome org> wrote:
Ühel kenal päeval, E, 18.03.2019 kell 20:35, kirjutas Claude Paroz:
> Le 18.03.19 à 15:17, mcatanzaro gnome org a écrit :
> > Please keep gnome-i18n gnome org CCed
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 5:02 AM, Arnaud Bonatti
> > <arnaud bonatti gmail com> wrote:
> > > If a translation contains a web link to what is currently an
> > > hypnotherapist website, it’s my role to remove that link before
> > > it
> > > hits the stable release. Even if I didn’t had the time to join
> > > the
> > > translator or its team to fix it in l10n. (Yes, it’s a true
> > > story. Not
> > > a big issue, but a real life one.)
>
> Hello Arnaud,
>
> I'm sure you have good intentions and you want the better for you
> released software.
> However the example above is a typical example whete it would be
> crucial
> that gnome-i18n is aware of the issue, because the person that
> committed
> that is either malicious and his account should immediately be
> blocked,
> or his account has been hacked and he should be aware of that.
>
> So if you report a serious issue to a translator team and don't get
> prompt answer, you should imemdiately escalate the issue to gnome-
> i18n
> so we can take proper action.

Only things related to links I noticed was
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/dconf-editor/commit/0e6f727e249f259939f65c44c70bc173cf214292
which is just a dead link.
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/dconf-editor/commit/c34101ac613708fbd5bad3f4fe1ebb4574f3f29f
which shows the same page.
And various changes from http to https by Arnaud.
So some commit I missed had an outdated translator-credits?
I even checked
git diff origin/gnome-3-32..origin/maintainer-only-3-32 |grep http

Meanwhile I see stuff like this instead:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/dconf-editor/commit/cb0708fedc224ae9274645d8d8e377953f37c233
Breaks unicode typography for the language - this language team uses
”%s” kind of markup typography throughout the desktop, not the English
specific “%s”, but this is broken by this commit from Arnaud. I would
be very angry if he broke my strings like this; but unfortunately (or
fortunately?) we are in such a state that dconf-editor isn't really
translated. I'd use „%s“, as told by our NATIONAL language institute(!)
which Arnaud would break. I bet this is a similar case with baski here
for eu.po file.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/dconf-editor/commit/3704fbb76c70def8718da2a62de12958cd7c7248
Probably changes translation of "Creators" from slovenian "Creators" to
"Created" instead

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/dconf-editor/commit/20d7339d1cceab3f8e16cebf8a054740fd02dd95

And of course changes all over the place that copy phrases and strings
over from somewhere else, presumably without knowing the language or
grammar and other subtleties.

In general there are real fixes and probable improvements in there, but
I don't see why the language teams just get trampled over here. It is
maybe theoretically beneficial to languages that can't keep up at all,
and it's just a way to keep it (a bit more) up to date; but for active
languages, it's actively stepping over the language teams and defeating
the process. As far as I'm concerned, if it's a GNOME project, you
don't touch the translations yourself.
If a language has such trouble, I don't think it makes sense to go
spend hours and hours of time without knowing the language on tweaking
things in an application that frankly no regular user should end up
running anyways. Meanwhile it's then supposedly not good in 100 other
GNOME modules for the language that people are actually exposed to.

Lets just say that dconf-editor at this point is not something I feel
like I shall be translating anytime soon, as it'll not be what gets
shipped anyways. If you want to be the translator for all languages,
you also get to translate it all, not only improve and "improve" stuff.
This is a two-way street.

Mart