Re: 3.33/3.34 schedule draft: questions

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 11:40 AM <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
That's one week harder for Ubuntu, but it avoids any conflict with
GUADEC, and is actually more in line with our traditional schedule. (I
believe we traditionally targeted the third week of the month.)
Targeting the first week of March and September is definitely better
for Ubuntu and Fedora, and I hope we can try to do that again in the
future (we did for 3.30 but not for 3.32), but due to GUADEC it just
doesn't work well for 3.34.

My opinion is that the dates that are critical for Ubuntu are the .90
release (compared with Ubuntu's Feature Freeze) and the .1 release
(compared with Ubuntu's release day).

Before we made changes, we had Feature Freeze and the .90 release the
same week. Ubuntu deadlines generally are on Thursdays. So we had only
a couple days to package all of the new GNOME and those days were in
the middle of the week which is generally more difficult for
volunteers. Very stressful. (And that isn't even counting that it's
common for critical components to be days late for the deadline.)

The .90 release is important because generally there shouldn't be any
big surprise changes after that which could be a lot of work for a
distro.

Also, it saves a lot of paperwork if the .1 release can get in Ubuntu
before release (and it makes much more likely to get more of the .1
release into Ubuntu).

So you can compare with https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EESeries/ReleaseSchedule

Hopefully, we can convince Ubuntu to avoid doing early October releases again.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha