Re: Unauthorized translation changes in dconf-editor

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 1:22 PM, Arnaud Bonatti <arnaud bonatti gmail com> wrote:
> The revert is incomplete. I’m only looking at French and I still see your
> harmful change from typographic apostrophe to single quote.

You’re right, I’ve forgotten something here, I’ll fix it and propose a
patch in the l10n product. But my revert is manually done, I don’t
know a way to check what I could have forgotten, I just know it has
mostly worked.

Question to the French translator: you say “harmful change from
typographic apostrophe to single quote”, but the “dconf-editor” French
translation uses only single quotes, sadly for me who always type with
typographic apostrophe. This change I’ve done was to have the same
apostrophe everywhere in the translation. Should I propose a patch
that change all apostrophes to typographic apostrophe? What’s the
current view of the French project?

That’s a perfect example of why you shouldn’t have made your changes in the first place and reached out to translators instead. We switched to typographic apostrophe for 3.26. All new strings should already be using them and we fix them in old strings as we go when working on new strings in a module. We actually have a translation for dconf-editor currently on Damned lies which we blocked mid-process because of your changes.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director