Re: Moduleset review

In the 3.20 modulesets, gnome-control-center has a dependency on
this.
There are some connection/device types for which we launch
nm-connection-editor. This is just a runtime dependency, and the code
seems to handle the absence of the binary ok, but maybe this should
stay around for now.

Agreed.

Yes, gnome-packagekit can go. Not sure gnome-software really needs to
go into core, but ok.

If gnome-software is not a core app, then what would be a core app? Do
you not agree with Allan's proposed moduleset definitions? Under this
proposal, leaving gnome-software out of core would be to recommend that
downstreams not install it, and would imply that gnome-software be
modified to allow uninstalling itself... hence I think it clearly
belongs in core.

We should be a bit careful about the language of
'promoting'/'dropping' though - I don't think we want to imply a
value
judgment here, beyond close alignment with the guidelines for core
apps.

Good point. Let's talk about "moving" then.

 * gedit (renamed to Text Editor in the desktop file)

When we last discussed this with the gedit team, they didn't want to
go the 'nameless core app' route.

See:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2013-March/msg00128.
html

Hence my point that core apps should be allowed to use whatever
branding they want in the About dialog.

In my experience, the higher-level groupings in bugzilla only ever get
in the way, and a flat list of all modules would be much better (at
least for my workflows).

Yeah, that's true....

Michael