Re: Moduleset review

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

Apologies for the long mail....

As a goal for 3.20, I'd like to complete the long-overdue moduleset
review proposed by Mathias at [1], in accordance with the moduleset
guidelines proposed by Allan at [2].

Thanks for picking this up!!

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2014-July/msg00053.htm

I suggest we consider these guidelines on a case-by-case basis for each
individual app. Javier has volunteered to help implement any moduleset
changes we agree on, so the challenge for us it just to agree on the
changes. Here are my proposed removals from core, as a starting point
for this discussion. They're based on, but not identical to, Matthias's
proposal:

 * network-manager-applet should presumably be dropped from core to
world; that's a GNOME 2 thing, right?

In the 3.20 modulesets, gnome-control-center has a dependency on this.
There are some connection/device types for which we launch
nm-connection-editor. This is just a runtime dependency, and the code
seems to handle the absence of the binary ok, but maybe this should
stay around for now.

 * gnome-packagekit should be dropped from core to apps, and replaced
with gnome-software.

Yes, gnome-packagekit can go. Not sure gnome-software really needs to
go into core, but ok.

 * empathy should be dropped from core to apps.
 * gnome-dictionary should be dropped from core to apps.
 * gnome-system-log should be dropped from core to apps, and replaced
with gnome-logs.
 * gucharmap should be dropped from core to apps, and replaced with
gnome-characters.

I agree with all of these.

Additionally, I believe the content apps Documents/Photos/Music/Videos
should be in core, but also that we should have only a single app in
core to handle a particular type of file:

 * eog should be dropped from core to apps and replaced with gnome-
photos once gnome-photos is considered to be appropriately mature (e.g.
can open local files).
 * evince should be dropped from core to apps and replaced with gnome-
documents once gnome-documents is able to open local files.
 * gnome-music should be added to core once considered to be
appropriately mature.
 * totem should remain in core.

We should also promote some apps from apps to core. I'm positive we
want to promote:

We should be a bit careful about the language of
'promoting'/'dropping' though - I don't think we want to imply a value
judgment here, beyond close alignment with the guidelines for core
apps.

 * file-roller (temporary, until nautilus learns to handle archives)

Fine with me.

 * gedit (renamed to Text Editor in the desktop file)

When we last discussed this with the gedit team, they didn't want to
go the 'nameless core app' route.

 * gnome-initial-setup (this is not an app)
 * orca (this is not an app)

Along with this, we will want to review and clean up our Bugzilla
components to match our moduleset definitions. It's frustrating to find
core apps like Software hidden under Applications in Bugzilla. That
cleanup can be done after we finish our moduleset reorganization.

In my experience, the higher-level groupings in bugzilla only ever get
in the way, and a flat list of all modules would be much better (at
least for my workflows).