Re: cleaning up categories

Frederic Peters <fpeters gnome org> wrote:
At GUADEC we discussed cleaning the various categories we have for our
modules, to make things more understandable and to share things
between our various services.
Where do we go from here?

Sorry for not replying to this sooner, Fred. I was a bit confused
about it, for some reason. :)

Notes and suggestions: (not a plan)

 - we want a flat list. (but does that mean merging all four jhbuild
   core subcategories in a single "core", or dispatching things in
   various parts?)

My suggestion was to have a common schema across our infrastructure:

1. Core (currently Core Shell and Core Dependencies from gnome-core-suites)
2. Core apps (currently Core Utilities from gnome-core-suites)
3. Apps (gnome-apps)
4. World (gnome-world)

I personally feel that separate modulesets for 1 & 2 would be
clearest, although I don't have much insight into the technical
underpinnings.

 - damned lies & bugzilla lists should be created from the doap files.

This would be fantastic. Do we have bug reports for these changes?

 - ditto for developer.gnome.org & help.gnome.org.

 - admin: it exists in the doap file schema but it's not used anymore
   (it was pessulus & sabayon)

Seems fine to remove it for now, as far as I can see.

 - backends (damned lies) / shell (jhbuild): sounds like "absolutely
   core things, it will technically break if a module is removed"

To me the key thing to differentiate is the core system (ie. OS
components) from applications. Within the core OS, it might be helpful
to categorise modules for navigation purposes, but that seems
secondary.

 - development tools: special purpose apps (anjuta, devhelp, gitg,
   nemiver...) should be considered apps.

Right, they're just apps.

Then there is zenity, what
   about it?

Seems like it's part of the OS - ie. not an app.

 - devel platform / extra devel platform: we need to decide on a
   precise set, we also need to decide on the presence of bindings
   here.

That seems like something that should happen in concert with Alex's
bundling/runtime work.

Comments?

Like I said, my personal priority is to have a common set of
high-level categories - core, core apps, apps. I'd probably opt to try
and get that in place rather than trying to solve every detail at
once.

Thanks,

Allan