Re: String freeze break request for gnome-software

As one of Slavic translators I must say that we indeed should delay it. I admit gnome-software l10n side isn't perfect at the moment. For example, while translating it I reported the following bug:
I consider for now these are minor issues we can live with.

2014-03-17 16:53 GMT+02:00 Alexandre Franke <alexandre franke gmail com>:
On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Piotr Drąg <piotrdrag gmail com> wrote:
> 2014-03-17 14:43 GMT+01:00 Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com>:
>> I've attached a patch in
>> that adds message
>> context to several translated strings in gnome-software. The bug was
>> filed by a translator, but I wonder if this is too disruptive this
>> close to the release, and should wait ?
> I'm torn here, because on the one hand these would considerably
> increase translation quality (at least for most Slavic languages), but
> on the other hand it's quite late in the cycle. What do other
> coordinators and translators think?

I'm the coordinator for the French team and I'm the one who filed the
bug during the translation hackfest we had last weekend. We decided
not to wait for the context to be added and to translate it in the
meantime. The issue is for "Unknown" which could be either masculine
or feminine in French depending on what is the unknown entity. We
translated it to the masculine "Inconnu" and it kind of works even if
it's not perfect. It's not shocking to have it this way, just not
really correct.

I'd say it's reasonable to let it as is and delay the fix until after
the release, but I wouldn't be annoyed if it was fixed now.

Alexandre Franke
gnome-i18n mailing list
gnome-i18n gnome org

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]