Fwd: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gnome Stabilization 3.6 or 3.8

fyi
--
Regards,
Olav
escribió:
Pacho Ramos schrieb:
- openBSD is simply supplying the "semibroken" Gnome stuff running with
their setup (without multiseat working, neither power management, gdm
service handling, and any new issues that could rise from logind not
being running)

If OpenBSD can do it, then Gentoo can do it, too. So would you accept ebuild
patches that make it possible to install Gnome 3.8 without systemd again?
Only make it possible, not turn it into a configuration which the Gnome team
supports.

Best regards,
Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn

We have discussed this some times in the team, the problem is that we
don't think we should provide "by default" a setup that is not working
properly: powermanagement, multiseat support and gdm service handling
are the more noticeable problems and the known ones... but there could
be more problems (for example, I remember to have lots of dbus rejection
messages from gnome-session and gnome-shell that I never was able to
know what was causing). Also, if that people reports problems, we would
close them as WONTFIX -> migrate to systemd (and expect them to not try
to lie us and causes us to break our heads thinking about what could be
causing their strange problem)

Anyway, you can still run it in the "openBSD" way:
- You can ignore the warnings, news and suggestions and, even moving
from udev to systemd ebuild, keep booting with openRC and using systemd
as device manager
- You can put systemd in package.provides to even keep running udev

But we (gnome team) cannot support that setups and, then, we prefer to
point people to run the supported one (with systemd running), keeping
the other "alternatives" for people that will be able to live with a
semi broken desktop and don't expect us to fix their bugs and fight to
upstream because XX thing doesn't work out of systemd.

--- End Message ---