Re: [gentoo-dev] Gnome Stabilization 3.6 or 3.8

El mié, 11-09-2013 a las 11:41 +0200, Olav Vitters escribió:
[...]
 * We maintain networkmanager and bluetooth support optional, and this
has been the case since 3.2 iirc even though upstream flat out refuses
to merge our perfectly fine patches

Feel free to cc release-team gnome org on such patches. I am not saying
something would change, however, Bluetooth is optional in gnome-shell
(though in 3.9.x it crashed if you disabled it). Seems a bit strange to
have it optional in one place, forced in another.

Upstream (I think most Bastien) strongly refuses to include that
patches, should we send you via mail to release team? (I can try to find
the bugs again and CC you there, but you will only see those closed as
WONTFIX because we aren't supposed to disable that support (colord,
networkmanager, kerberos...)

[...]
Intention was not to force systemd. It just seems to have ended up that
way. The various times I asked there has been a lot of work going on
into supporting non-systemd configurations as changes are made. However,
that work is mostly untested and likely buggy (things needs to be used).
I thought the work was good enough (though knew that Debian would go
with requiring systemd as a dependency)

It's "de facto" forced, otherwise, gdm cannot be stopped properly (until
cgroups support is not implemented in other RCs alternatives), power
management support is lost...

It seems that for Wayland support we somehow do need to require logind
(I forgot why exactly, though I do have IRC logs somewhere). At the
moment that seems unlikely to change. I'm planning to write a proper
message about this to distributor-list.

Then, it will also need systemd to be running as systemd >= 205 cannot
have logind working alone.

Most of the development was done within ConsoleKit, now mostly done
within systemd. It would be nice if the logind part was optional like it
was initially, but I don't know if that would still be a no-go for
Gentoo. E.g. does it have to be ConsoleKit, or is a logind also ok? Note
that Ubuntu is going with Qt, so I don't expect them to do much
development on keeping logind separate from systemd.

Ubuntu people made a huge effort to let logind work with Upstart
running, but that will only work for <=204 version.