Re: Module Organisation

Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
Currently, we have the following metamodules in jhbuild:

meta-gnome-core
    meta-gnome-core-shell
    meta-gnome-core-extras
    meta-gnome-core-utilities
    meta-gnome-core-os-services
meta-gnome-devel-platform
meta-gnome-extended-devel-platform
meta-gnome-apps-tested

I think  they map to what you are describing roughly in the following way:

meta-gnome-core-utilities == Core apps
rest of meta-gnome-core == Core
meta-gnome-apps-tested == Apps

Correct ? We can certainly strive to streamline the organization of modules
in that way. At the same time, we can consider if the split into 4 separate
files:

gnome-sysdeps gnome-suites-core-deps gnome-suites-core gnome-apps

is really useful, or just confusing, considering we have an overlayed
meta-module structure that looks slightly different. Two ways we could go
here:
a) enforce a 1-1 mapping between files and metamodules
b) dump it all in one file

I've never really understood the need for metamodules other than
specifying a GNOME version (which isn't to say that there isn't a good
reason to have them).

I would say that, even if the modulesets do map on to my typology, the
names don't help (it's never been clear to me why these are suites, or
why we have a utilities moduleset).

With respect to bugzilla: I don't think the module grouping is helpful at
all there. I have only ever found it to get in my way, e.g. when I can't add
a Gnome target mark to a bug because it is not in the right group, or when I
have to restart typeahead search in the combobox, because the module
grouping is overlayed on top of the alphabetical sorting...

I've never encountered those particular issues (and maybe they are ui
bugs with bugzilla?). I suppose I have two issues when it comes to
bugzilla:

 1. It isn't clear what "gnome" is.
 2. When I report a bug, I often look in the wrong group (since some
apps are in core, etc).

Getting rid of the groups altogether would solve problem 2 but not
problem 1 - which I think is a serious issue. People do develop random
apps on GNOME infrastructure, and while we want to be welcoming I
think it is helpful to give new contributors a clear idea of what they
are working on.

The groups can also be useful if you are looking for a module but
aren't sure of the name (particularly if it's a piece of
infrastructure).

Allan