Re: new spidermonkey in 3.8?

If we move to js17, we can reintroduce a periodic GC without fear of a deadlock, which will keep memory usage low. If we branch and make two releases, we have no way to do that, shy of conditional compilation.

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
On Sun, 2013-03-10 at 17:24 +1100, Tim wrote:
> I believe the plan is (from discussions with walters) to branch gjs for the 3.8 release. So essentially there would be two gjs versions at
> release, one for the old spidermonkey and one for the new spidermonkey.

Yeah; also, after 3.10 development opens, immediately switch the branch
to track js17.  And we should be helping Mozilla get the release out the
door.

> It would then be up to distro's to choose which version they use.

Right.  This seems pretty low risk to me, as long as we're fairly
confident of the js17 future.

--
  Jasper