Re: BlueZ 5 migration

Looping in Luiz Augusto von Dentz from the BlueZ side since he might
want to pitch in as well.


On Mon, 2013-07-01 at 15:02 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
On Mon, 2013-07-01 at 09:47 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 17:46 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
I think it makes sense to use this approach with 3.10 as well - support
BlueZ 4 and 5 as a compile-time option for this release, get some more
user-testing during this cycle from the more adventurous, and then
switch to BlueZ 5 only in 3.12

Given that we had to break the API to support Bluez5, I really don't
want to be supporting 2 versions of BlueZ in gnome-bluetooth and
associated modules. Waiting another 6 months would mean that we'd rely
on the unsupported BlueZ 4 code for a total of a year and a half.

I'd rather ship without Bluetooth audio support in 3.10.0 and have the
support come in in an subsequent point update. This is definitely better
than relying on unsupported versions of BlueZ.

"BlueZ 4 is no longer supported" is only a tenable argument if it didn't
drop functionality. Put another way, from users' perspective, BlueZ 4
vs. 5 doesn't matter. Having something that worked fine go away, for no
visible gain, does.

I'm not even saying we should be providing active support for BlueZ 4
installs - just that we deal with messiness of retaining 4.x support in
code for one cycle.


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]