Re: BlueZ 5 migration

On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 17:46 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
On Thu, 2013-06-27 at 15:41 +0100, Javier Jardón wrote:
On 27 June 2013 14:09, Arun Raghavan <arun raghavan collabora co uk> wrote:

I had brought this up on IRC, but that morphed into a discussion with
the BlueZ folks, so let me just summarise here:

* The latest released PulseAudio does not support BlueZ 5, only BlueZ 4
The BlueZ folks (João Paulo and Mikel) have been doing the heavy-lifting
on this front. Knowing what the timelines are from GNOME's perspective
would be useful in figuring out when we need to get this in by (and
released) and whether this is possible at all.

Hi Arun,

thanks for the heads up
You can check the release schelude here: [1]


As you can see TheFreeze of all the modules is August 19, so ideally
the new pulseaudio version should be ready some time before.

This depends on the code going into BlueZ first, then into PA, and both
making releases (there are currently a whole lot of changes in master,
so we'd probably need to do a couple of rounds of RCs before shipping a
new stable release).

A question about BlueZ: Is version 4 parallel installable with version 5?

As Bastien pointed out, they will not be. To make the transition less
painful, our plan on the PulseAudio side is to support both BlueZ 4 and
5 in the short term till there are enough users have migrated to BlueZ 5
and we can feel more confident about dropping BlueZ 4 support.
Fortunately, we are able to separate this out without much in the way of
additional maintenance burden.

I think it makes sense to use this approach with 3.10 as well - support
BlueZ 4 and 5 as a compile-time option for this release, get some more
user-testing during this cycle from the more adventurous, and then
switch to BlueZ 5 only in 3.12

Given that we had to break the API to support Bluez5, I really don't
want to be supporting 2 versions of BlueZ in gnome-bluetooth and
associated modules. Waiting another 6 months would mean that we'd rely
on the unsupported BlueZ 4 code for a total of a year and a half.

I'd rather ship without Bluetooth audio support in 3.10.0 and have the
support come in in an subsequent point update. This is definitely better
than relying on unsupported versions of BlueZ.


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]