Re: Requiring systemd for the gnome-settings-daemon power plugin

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-10-19 at 15:30 +0200, Florian Max wrote:

That sounds to me like we won't be able to keep using the current CK
path for session tracking - I'm most certainly against reimplementing
removed CK bits in gnome-shell.

> I would recommend that gnome-shell uses systemd to suspend

Yeah, we should probably do that - filed as bug 686482.

> and I would recommend gnome-shell, gnome-session and gdm also drop their ConsoleKit
> session tracking code.
> At the end of the day, the decisions are not mine to make, so if the costs of keeping
> those options are low enough for you, then feel free to keep them.

Well, it doesn't make much sense to run gnome-shell without
gnome-settings-daemon. So if you change the latter to require either
systemd or a dbus-compatible implementation, native CK support in the
shell won't be too useful - in that sense, it *is* your decision :-)

Note that I'm not complaining (I'm pretty sure the CK path is mostly
untested nowadays until it reaches end users), just saying that I
don't think we can consider g-s-d separately - a change like this will
have implications for other modules as well.

Regards,
Florian