Re: Requiring systemd for the gnome-settings-daemon power plugin

On Fri, 2012-10-19 at 15:48 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> I would recommend that gnome-shell uses systemd to suspend, and I would
> recommend gnome-shell, gnome-session and gdm also drop their ConsoleKit
> session tracking code. At the end of the day, the decisions are not mine
> to make, so if the costs of keeping those options are low enough for
> you, then feel free to keep them.

But in reality, the set of git repositories forms a whole.  And if
gnome-settings-daemon doesn't support !systemd, then the whole doesn't
either.  So if you decide to delete this code from g-s-d, it makes the
work of anyone else completely pointless.

Broadly speaking, I don't think it makes sense for this to be up to
individual module maintainers as they please, because the result is
incoherent.

Now, this is obviously not a new debate.  One option which I'd like to
preserve at least is that !systemd platforms are able to build and run
GNOME in "basic window management" mode.  Basically the equivalent of
thin client/remote X display.

So we could say we don't support power management for example.  In that
case, you could support being compiled without systemd support (at
present), and just do nothing if it doesn't exist.  Or it could be
runtime detection.