Re: 3.4 Release Notes
- From: Allan Day <allanpday gmail com>
- To: Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me>
- Cc: Gnome Release Team <release-team gnome org>, marketing-list <marketing-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: 3.4 Release Notes
- Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 19:59:04 +0000
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
>> I was thinking of switching from Docbook to Mallard for 3.6 (I didn't
>> have time to prepare this for 3.4 already).
>> The advantages of "GNOME 3 page style" are unclear to me currently,
Advantages of moving over to using Wordpress for the release notes
(that I can think of):
1. The notes will be on gnome.org rather than under
library.gnome.org/misc (why are the notes for our new release in a
'library'? why are they 'miscellaneous'?)
2. Avoid the bookishness of the format (sub-headings everywhere,
boxes of links interrupting the flow of the document), which is rather
3. Allow embedding of richer media, such as lightboxes, image
galleries and videos.
4. Allow flexible design, facilitating a more stylish and attractive layout.
5. Allow division of the notes into separate pages, rather than being
a single *huge* page.
>> however I would first have to know what markup language this move would
Wordpress reduces the need for markup. The only markup you need is
html for formatting and embedding media, plus for bits of fancier page
>> plus if anybody would be actually willing to prepare this move.
Actually writing the notes and doing the markup would be less work
than with Docbook or Mallard, so in that respect we'd save time and
effort. However, we would need a bit of extra help on the web
development side if we wanted to make the notes look really nice.
> I'm interested in this as well. As Shaun noted about translations I would
> like to see this translated in as many languages as possible.
> We'll need to start on this soon.
Most of the pieces are in place to make gnome.org translatable using
the standard GNOME infrastructure. We just need to hook it up to damn
lies . I've spoken to Vinicius and he's confident that we can have
it ready in time to get the release notes translated.
IRC: aday on irc.gnome.org
] [Thread Prev