Re: 3.4 Release Notes

On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 09:28 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
> Now, a question. We typically keep the release notes secret until the
> release itself. At least one member of the press has told me that this
> makes it quite difficult for him to cover GNOME releases, since there
> is little information about the release until it is actually out.
>
> Is there a way we can disclose what will be in the release prior to
> release day itself? Maybe the release notes could be made public with
> the release candidate, for example? It would be really useful to know
> what other projects do in this regard.

I don't have any opinion on this. In the past we've been having a
password protection, but we could drop that and add a "This is not the
final version, things might be wrong and change" header - same as on
https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointThree/ReleaseNotes .

> One other thing that we've spoken about is moving away from the
> library/documentation format for the release notes. Hosting them
> directly on gnome.org would give us a lot more freedom in terms of how
> we present the notes

What would you like to see that Mallard cannot do?

>  (so they would look more like the GNOME 3 page
> [2], for example).

I was thinking of switching from Docbook to Mallard for 3.6 (I didn't
have time to prepare this for 3.4 already).
The advantages of "GNOME 3 page style" are unclear to me currently,
however I would first have to know what markup language this move would
imply, plus if anybody would be actually willing to prepare this move.

andre
--
mailto:ak-47 gmx net | failed
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper