Meeting minutes (May 15th)

Release Team Meeting, 2011-05-15, 18h UTC

Attendance
==========

Present:
 Alejandro Piñeiro Iglesias (API)
 Frédéric Péters (fredp)
 Andre Klapper (andre_)
 Matthias Clasen (mclasen)
 Olav Vitters (bkor)

Regrets:
 Luca Ferretti (elleuca)

Missing:
 Javier Jardón (jjardon)
 Kjartan Maraas (kmaraas)
 Colin Walters (walters)

Agenda
======

- Alignment on a common direction
- Review of feature proposals
- Misc
  - Opening release team list? (Olav?)
  - Next meeting date

Actions
=======

fredp
 - remove Accessibility from the features page
 - talk to the epiphany team about web applications integration
 - send an email to fix a date for the next meeting

API
 - add theme issues to the a11y coordination pages

walters
 - put out some proposal for appmenu/actions/jumplists on the feature page

mclasen
 - ask aday/lapo to work out final backup design with mterry
 - meet with hughsie and designers to establish concrete designs for color
   management
 - present "initial setup" in a mail to ddl (or gnome-integration)

bkor
 - set up release team to be public (and taking adequate measures for security@
   to remain private)
 - send announcement to desktop-devel-list

Alignment on a Common Direction
===============================

Deferred to a future meeting, to have more participants.

Review of Feature Proposals
===========================

- Accessibility
  → the feature will be completed the day we can enable a11y by default,
    probably not possible for 3.2, still the a11y team is working hard and
    tracking progress in http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/ThreePointTwo/
    → remove from the features page
    → make sure the coordination page has theme issues listed (gtk themes, gnome
      themes, icon themes...)

- Application menu / Actions / Jumplists
  → we need to keep pushing for that, to get some concrete plans in the feature
    page.

- Backup
  → primary concern about out-of-tree settings panel, and secondary concerns
    about license and hosting on launchpad; a discussion on design started
    between mterry and aday, lapo would also be interested, the discussion
    should continue but at the moment we think it can make it as a feature for
    3.2.

- Color Management
  → disagreements about having color management in a settings panel are over;
    need some design for something small enough that we can get it for 3.2 and
    that does not get in the way of regular users...

- IBus/XKB support
  → looking grim, need to get back on this later on.

- Login Screen
  → halfline, mccann, and mclasen will work on concrete plans next week

- Tablets / touch / scrollbars
  → hadess is interested, we'll have incremental improvements, but will
    certainly not be able to label 3.2 as "tablet ready".

- Web Applications Integration
  → need to talk to the Epiphany team

- Initial Setup
  → heads up about https://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/InitialSetup

- Contacts
- Crypto Glue
- Quick File Previewing
- Finding And Reminding
- Fix Annoying Things
- Human Interface Guidelines
- On-screen Keyboard
- Sharing
- System Dialogs
  → discussion delayed to next meeting

Opening Release Team List

 - pro: people can follow what we do and there is some clear interest
 - con: people might interfer and answer stuff they shouldn't answer

 → let's try opening, and let's say that we test if it works out.

Next Meeting Date

Sunday 2011-05-22, 18UTC, tentative, mail to be sent