Re: Possible UI freeze break: acccessibility menu in panel

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:

> So, basically, our options are:
>
>  * Leave the menu completely as is, fix everything up as well as possible;
>   this will mean that people testing GNOME 3 may have bad experiences
>   with some of the options.
>
>  * Remove the worst working options:
>
>    Screen Reader
>    Screen Keyboard
>    Maybe High Contrast
>
>   fix everything else up. This is certainly possible, but does it leave a
>   menu that's prominent in the design but doesn't have a ton of useful stuff
>   in it.
>
>  * Remove the accessibility menu entirely. The functionality is still all
>   accessible through system settings, it just isn't as exposed and obvious
>   to first impressions.
>
> Jon McCann's request is to do the last one. I don't really have an opinion
> on the matter myself.

Removing things from the menu does not make much sense to me. After
all, they are still available from the UA panel. So the bad experience
can still be had.

Removing the menu altogether seems even worse, after it has figured
prominently in every shell screenshot for the last year or so.

I think we should make try to make things work as well as we can for
3.0 and promise to do better for 3.2. And yes, that will mean making
compromises and accepting an on-screen keyboard that may not follow
the design vision to the pixel.

Matthias