Re: [joanied gnome org: Re: Negativ Layout in Gnome 3]

On 06/01/2011 02:16 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

Was done recently. FWIW, when I mentioned that on the weekly a11y meeting, I
started to receive some personal messages (IRC+mail, yes, more than one),
wondering if that means that GNOME didn't care about accessibility. Was hard
to explain there wasn't any different on the plans to keep improving a11y,
and that this change was just a coordination change. Some people felt that
this change removed a lot of visibility of the accessibility work. I was
also surprised that this change became so conflictive, although I agree
about that this change makes accessibility a little less visible.
This may sound controversial, but here it goes:

Well, my mail was also controversial on his own.

I think we have to be honest about the fact that a11y is not a
first-class feature of GNOME until it is fully integrated. That means
being turned on by default, without making the desktop unusable. In my
opinion, the only way to get there is if the a11y team starts
perceiving itself as a part of GNOME, not as something that gets
'tacked on' from the side...

In my opinion a11y team is right now tacked from the side because the rest of the community didn't perceive it as part of GNOME.

Although I'm somewhat a newcomer on the a11y team, I feel that this is somewhat related on how accessibility was introduced on GNOME. GNOME started, it was cool, and suddenly two big companies Sun and IBM wanted to bring accessibility on it. And that team was mostly working on his one, working on a isolated module (gail) and the community get used to that status, a status were they didn't need to care about accessibility because others were working on that.

 From my perspective, the a11y team is far too happy to be inits own
little corner, working on its 'testing distro' and its own little
tools that need to work on every OS and thus end up working properly
on none of them. Yet, when I try to run accerciser in a jhbuild tree
on my system, it locks up solid after a few minutes every single
time...

IMHO this is not the case. For years the a11y leading people, Joanmarie and Willie Walker were asking for a change of mentality of GNOME. For years they asked the community to internalize accessibility. In the case of Orca, most of their problems are blocked by bugs in other components, and they get tired of the default "patches are welcome" answer. Although this answer is theoretically valid on the free software world, it can't be the answer to all the bugs blocking the accessibility. Or at least not if accessibility were properly integrated on the community.

About this testing distro: again, this is just a temporal solution. This is just a way to have a gnome 3 environment, were test quickly last changes on a11y modules. It was really useful to test things from release 3.0 to 3.0.1. And it will not last for a long time.

All those problems with accerciser (and probably at-spi2) are really unfortunate. In summary this was a effect of constantly postponing the inclusion of at-spi2 on any distro. This was really odd. Bonobo/ORBit are deprecated, and one of the major reasons for the technology change were the distros. But then they postpone using at-spi2 because it was mature enough, of course without providing any resource to solve it. Anyway, taking into account that at-spi2 right now is mostly leaded by Mike Gorse in his spare time, in a "lone rider" mode, all the work done is really awesome.

Sorry for venting frustration here; I have been trying to push for a
change to this, by starting a drop-gail branch, and by asking Benjamin
to look at a11y issues in GTK+, but so far I have not seen any real
interest in it from the a11y side. The wiki page now says this about
gail/gtk: 'Wait for Benjamin to finish his work so we can test it'.
Things are not going to work like that....

On that thread Brian Cameron, Li Yuan and me sent several mails. Being against Benjamin proposals is not the same that doesn't have any interest (BTW, on my TODO I have pending to send a mail to get a conclusion on that mail). And about what it is written on the wiki. I don't understand. We thought that Benjamin wanted to check it, so we supposed that he was the key contact here, so next step is getting more information from his side. How many people do you think that have a11y knowledge and specifically gail? AFAIK, Li Yuan (alway busy), me (from my hildon experience, already struggling with gnome-shell accessibility) you and Benjamin. What kind of reaction were you waiting for?

Because this is other of the inherent problems of accessibility. There isn't too many people with experience or interested to work on that field.

And I will use myself as example. Right now I'm half of the a11y two-headed coordination, in spite of being one with less experience (experience==years working on that) on the field, compared with other people of the community. For me it was always shocking how fast I became someone "important" on the a11y community, taking into account that I'm the "clutter a11y guy", and his main consumer, GNOME-Shell, doesn't have a proper a11y support yet. You can extract your own conclusions from that.

Don't worry about the frustration. In general, "frustration" applies to most of the aspect of current GNOME accessibility.

I don't see many hopeful signs for a11y improving in 3.2 or 3.4.

WIP

--
Alejandro Piñeiro Iglesias (API) (apinheiro igalia com)