Re: Changes to notification spec

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
> Seems the notification spec was changed just by GNOME and no involvement
> from anyone else. As least this is what I gather from the comments from
> various KDE people (Aaron and others) on
> http://blogs.gnome.org/marina/2011/01/07/notifications-with-character/
>
> Apparently the new spec is only somewhere on people.gnome.org. This will
> give a wrong impression towards KDE (and others, XFCE, etc).
>
> I'm guessing this is caused by everyone being very busy with the
> work involved with GNOME 3.0. Still, should work together.
>
> Anyone have some background? Otherwise I'll try and draft a friendly
> request for info from those involved :)

Lets try not to be revisionist here.

The spec started out as part of the galago project, here:

http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/

It was not being actively developed for quite a few years, then
Canonical / KDE were the first to embrace and extend it:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2009-July/010802.html

Jon pushed a number of changes to libnotify and the notification spec
that were necessary to realize the gnome3 design, and the resulting
spec can be found here:

http://people.gnome.org/~mccann/docs/notification-spec/notification-spec-latest.html

If you look closely, you'll notice that the changes are restricted to
the addition of some server capabilities.