Re: Moduleset Reorganization -- Take two

Johannes Schmid wrote:

> Am Montag, den 31.01.2011, 22:03 +0100 schrieb Frederic Crozat:
> > And this kind of attitude is the best way to ensure people will leave
> > release-team..
> >
> > Before blaming release-team for all the GNOME deficiencies in GNOME 3,
> > maybe you should check who did the "clean-up" in the first place.
>
> Sorry but I feel this is the wrong attitude for this kind of discussion.

Sure, but I understand it, the thing is that the release team has been
very careful, drafting proposals, listening to feedback, with regards
to a moduleset reorganisation, sure that was slow.

Too slow probably, so after discussing things at the Boston Summit,
new modulesets written by Jon McCann[1] were pushed, those were
certainly close to what the release team envisoned, but they also had
their share of problems, and the release team, and other teams, had to
follow suit, fixing both those new sets, and the various tools that
had been broken in the change.

Apart missing modules a big aspect of those modulesets was the absence
of a platform, because (as I understand it) he believes it's too early
to define a platform, that it makes little sense out of a "GNOME OS".

After the latest release team meeting I added back a fairly small
platform (basically the GNOME 2 platform minus the deprecated
libraries, with same API/ABI rules), and a first draft of an "extended
platform", as discussed on this list.

Then this will be written down properly on the wiki, announced on this
list, etc.

Summary is that is was slow *but* rushed, which is not a good
combination, and left people frustrated.

        Frederic

[1] not a member of the release team, this is in part where Frederic
    is frustrated, if I'm not mistaken